WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
WWW . TEL . COMMUNITY - The .tel domain forum

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Share
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45274
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by mikeseaton on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 12:54 pm

mikeseaton wrote:Well Dan, one thing I was planning on doing was promoting Telnames to the 1000s of small businessmen, sole traders and professionals visiting Boat Search UK, Boat Search USA, and the other European Boat Search Engine sites that I run, via the Telnames / Commission Junction Affiliate Scheme.

But it's difficult for me to do that as I'm still waiting for Telnames to move my application at CJ (I applied 19 December 2012) from "Pending Applications" to "Approved" status !
http://MikeSeaton.tel

PS. I am also encouraging .TEL Search by the use of http://www.net-link.com/tel
It's now IMPOSSIBLE for me to send new .tel registrants to Telnames as my affiliate application at CJ was officially DECLINED by Telnames today.

OK - I'll just accept the payments from AdSense, Amazon, eBay, TradeDoubler and the other CJ advertisers instead !

Obviously frank (but true) forum posts by myself do not go down too well with Telnic/Telnames - even though I always try to offer constructive suggestions to help move the .tel project forward to the essential "critical mass" - without which it is going to fail as 1000+ new gTLDs attract software developers time and domain investors money !

I have to ask the question DOES TELNIC NEVER LEARN ?

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
ixida
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-07-05
Posts : 263 Points : 7532
Reputation : 115
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by ixida on Thu 10 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

mikeseaton wrote:It's now IMPOSSIBLE for me to send new .tel registrants to Telnames as my affiliate application at CJ was officially DECLINED by Telnames today.
I have a question. What is better for an advertiser? Accepting all publishers applying for the campaign or choosing them by the websites they want to place ads on?

fustachio.tel
Senior Member
Senior Member

Gender : Male
Age : 34
Zodiac : Pisces Chinese zodiac : Pig
Join date : 2012-06-23
Posts : 415 Points : 9435
Reputation : 140
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by fustachio.tel on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 2:27 am

Send them to a better competing service that gives you a commission out of spite, seems a crappy thing for them to do but not unexpected as they made you wait they clearly didn't want to you know, like people don't act on facebook friend requests but just leave them hanging in the wind.
avatar
ixida
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-07-05
Posts : 263 Points : 7532
Reputation : 115
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by ixida on Fri 11 Jan 2013, 5:19 pm

ixida wrote:
mikeseaton wrote:It's now IMPOSSIBLE for me to send new .tel registrants to Telnames as my affiliate application at CJ was officially DECLINED by Telnames today.
I have a question. What is better for an advertiser? Accepting all publishers applying for the campaign or choosing them by the websites they want to place ads on?
I didn't want Mike to quit! My question was serious and wasn't meant to be provocative.
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45274
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by mikeseaton on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 2:24 pm

ixida wrote:
ixida wrote:
mikeseaton wrote:It's now IMPOSSIBLE for me to send new .tel registrants to Telnames as my affiliate application at CJ was officially DECLINED by Telnames today.
I have a question. What is better for an advertiser? Accepting all publishers applying for the campaign or choosing them by the websites they want to place ads on?
I didn't want Mike to quit! My question was serious and wasn't meant to be provocative.
The Reality of .Tel needs to be faced by all of us - what varies is the point at which people like Jens, Telrific, TELcp and myself have chosen to do so !

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12559
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by Expert on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 6:09 pm

If Telnic kicks out one of their biggest customers of the Telnic forum, refuses him to become a publisher and never responses to all his software requests, I would become mad, too. Or at least frustrated.

maxi
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-27
Posts : 998 Points : 22296
Reputation : 466
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by maxi on Sat 12 Jan 2013, 10:01 pm

ixida wrote:I have a question. What is better for an advertiser? Accepting all publishers applying for the campaign or choosing them by the websites they want to place ads on?
I аm аnу expert in these mаtters, but hаve а versiоn thаt there shоuld be nо difference, when mоneу аre pаid оnlу аfter site's visitоr went bу the link аnd mаde а purchаse оf а prоduct. Mау be I аm wrоng.

I аlsо think, thаt bigger prоportion оf buуer/visitor cоuld cоme frоm develоped TEL-sites then frоm cоnventiоnаl web-sites. Becаuse pоtentiаl buуer аlreаdу sаw thаt develоped TEL, аnd if it wаs nice аnd functiоnаl, then, lоgicаllу, thаt TEL-site-visitоr cоuld be tempted tо get а TEL fоr himself.

Оf cоurse, if thаt TEL will be uglу аnd usefull, the result will be оppоsite.


___________________________________________________
www.Dailininkas.com _ www.Painting-Artist.com _ www.Aquarelica.com
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45274
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

mikeseaton wrote:
ixida wrote:I didn't want Mike to quit! My question was serious and wasn't meant to be provocative.
The Reality of .Tel needs to be faced by all of us - what varies is the point at which people like Jens, Telrific, TELcp and myself have chosen to do so !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
I came across the following Telnic Forum post the other day (saved before being banned) that I made on 9 September 2011 (ie. 16 months ago) called The Reality of .Tel !

I remember Justin saying in an interview that Telnic was the longest startup in internet history. Telnic was incorporated as a UK company on 29 April 1998 as Ixtel Ltd., the name being changed to Telnic Ltd. on 8 September 1999.

That makes it over 13 years since the company was formed to develop .tel - about the same age as Google and older than Facebook !

I assume it's the calm before the storm - just not sure how long domain investors and software developers can put up with no information about how .tel is going to get out on the streets as a mass market product.

We all want .tel to succeed but with any investment (whether in time and/or money) there is a point at which reality has to be faced.

I'm starting to get nervous about .tel - the roadmap has now been removed - some domain investors and software developers have already given up - we really do need good reasons to continue to "keep the faith".

Telnic - can you please give us something concrete to show a route to getting .tel out to "Joe Public" before events overtake us all !


Thanks in anticipation.

http://MikeSeaton.tel
Having re-read it I just wished I had taken my own warnings about the reality of .tel seriously and saved 16 months of wasted time and money that I've spent on the no longer marketed/developed Telnic subdomain .tels !

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
Moonlight
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 203 Points : 5908
Reputation : 79
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by Moonlight on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

The dream of a quick success has been buried for a long time already.
You should only stay involved if you give this new technology a chance in the long term.
But I think that most people have adapted already.
I expect that new clients will not have the same high expectations as early participants.
avatar
TelFan
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-05-31
Posts : 299 Points : 8317
Reputation : 83
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by TelFan on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 12:16 pm

Moonlight wrote:The dream of a quick success has been buried for a long time already.
You should only stay involved if you give this new technology a chance in the long term.
But I think that most people have adapted already.
I expect that new clients will not have the same high expectations as early participants.
Wrong! The longer it takes, the worse the chances.
avatar
Expert
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 522 Points : 12559
Reputation : 351
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by Expert on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 1:06 pm

TelFan wrote:
Moonlight wrote:The dream of a quick success has been buried for a long time already.
You should only stay involved if you give this new technology a chance in the long term.
But I think that most people have adapted already.
I expect that new clients will not have the same high expectations as early participants.
Wrong! The longer it takes, the worse the chances.
Wrong, too!
Time doesn’t matter, because success is guaranteed if a company understands the customer and offers a service worth the money.

maxi
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-27
Posts : 998 Points : 22296
Reputation : 466
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by maxi on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:06 pm

mikeseaton wrote:Having re-read it I just wished I had taken my own warnings about the reality of .tel seriously and saved 16 months of wasted time and money that I've spent on the no longer marketed/developed Telnic subdomain .tels !
Of course, everyone decides how to do it better. Especially with a business which is a kind of a gambling. It is just my opinion - if I would have one-word English nouns from the lists bellow (or domains equal to them) I would think few times before dropping them.




___________________________________________________
www.Dailininkas.com _ www.Painting-Artist.com _ www.Aquarelica.com
avatar
ixida
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-07-05
Posts : 263 Points : 7532
Reputation : 115
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by ixida on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:03 pm

Mike, Are you on vacation from .tel or did you really quit?
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45274
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by mikeseaton on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:10 am

ixida wrote:Mike, Are you on vacation from .tel or did you really quit?
@ixida This post should give you the answer !

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
hulltv
Senior Member
Senior Member

Join date : 2012-07-05
Posts : 251 Points : 7016
Reputation : 64
Warning level : 75 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by hulltv on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:57 am

the fact that dot tel has failed may well be a help to some domainers.

who have some kind of addicion.


___________________________________________________
Unlock your phone APPS.TELL
avatar
silvano
Senior Member
Senior Member

.tel domain : albenga.tel
Number of .tel domains : 6
Location : Albenga - Italy
Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-08-08
Posts : 276 Points : 8276
Reputation : 187
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by silvano on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:55 am

hulltv wrote:the fact that dot tel has failed may well be a help to some domainers.

who have some kind of addicion.

An interesting blog post by Adam Dicker*

http://www.elliotsblog.com/adam-dickers-2013-predictions-2827

Point No. 3: "2013 will be the year domainers drop 80% of their ice cream domains and
upgrade their portfolios, quality over quantity will be the right target
to aim for. It’s far better to own 10 fantastic domains than 10,000
pieces of ice cream."

Point No. 4: "Hopefully people learnt from .mobi, .tel .co and .xxx not to waste their
money filling the pockets of the registrars while they are left with no
traffic and no revenue from these pipe dreams.
"

------
* http://www.adamdicker.com/about-adam-dicker/
avatar
Natal
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-08-07
Posts : 63 Points : 3416
Reputation : 26
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by Natal on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 12:45 pm

silvano wrote:Point No. 4: "Hopefully people learnt from .mobi, .tel .co and .xxx not to waste their
money filling the pockets of the registrars while they are left with no
traffic and no revenue from these pipe dreams.
"
If he talks about TEL as a domain, then he is right. But if he talks about telecommunication, then he doesn't know what he is talking. The purpose of TEL is not what every other domain is doing. And this is still uncovered until today. Adam Dicker surely don't know about that.
avatar
Mad Max
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-09-22
Posts : 163 Points : 6049
Reputation : 152
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by Mad Max on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 1:24 pm

Natal wrote:If he talks about TEL as a domain, then he is right. But if he talks about telecommunication, then he doesn't know what he is talking. The purpose of TEL is not what every other domain is doing. And this is still uncovered until today. Adam Dicker surely don't know about that.
then when telnic presents us those new telecommunication services instead of hunting after critical mass in a market segment with hundreds of rivals?
avatar
silvano
Senior Member
Senior Member

.tel domain : albenga.tel
Number of .tel domains : 6
Location : Albenga - Italy
Gender : Male
Join date : 2012-08-08
Posts : 276 Points : 8276
Reputation : 187
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by silvano on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 3:23 pm

Natal wrote:If he talks about TEL as a domain, then he is right. But if he talks about telecommunication, then he doesn't know what he is talking. The purpose of TEL is not what every other domain is doing. And this is still uncovered until today. Adam Dicker surely don't know about that.

Adam Dicker is a domainer and speaks as domainer.

On the other hand the .tels at the moment can only be used as domains.
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45274
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by mikeseaton on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:29 am

mikeseaton wrote:
ixida wrote:Mike, Are you on vacation from .tel or did you really quit?
@ixida This post should give you the answer !
Looks like I made the right decision - .TEL Total Registrations just go from BAD to WORSE to FAILING !

Sooner or later Telnic/Telnames will realise they made a BIG MISTAKE by refusing to release the Telnames template to their loyal Telnic registrants and their 100 or so registrars !

Will there be anything left of the .tel project when they realise this was a major error ?

.TEL was a great idea - ruined by so many decisions which alienated the customers who ultimately (once the $35,000,000 initial funding runs out) are essential for Telnic/Telnames long term survival.

The best - in fact the only - hope is for a takeover of Telnic/Telnames by one of the internet's major players.

But this seems unlikely (hopefully not impossible) given the business opportunities that will exist with the 1000+ new gTLDs soon to be launched.

So it is with great regret that I have to ask:

Will The Last Person To Leave The .Tel Project Please Turn Out The Lights ?

http://MikeSeaton.tel


___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
Mad Max
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-09-22
Posts : 163 Points : 6049
Reputation : 152
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by Mad Max on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:36 am

mikeseaton wrote:.TEL was a great idea - ruined by some many decisions which alienated the customers who ultimately (once the $35,000,000 initial funding runs out) are essential for Telnic/Telnames long term survival.
i still hope the money will be enough to deliver an useful design to telnic
then .tel could be still recovered
but of course telnic will have to search for new supporters, because developers who dropped their domains won't come back
avatar
Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-10
Posts : 736 Points : 19688
Reputation : 540
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by Sunrise on Tue 22 Jan 2013, 9:32 am

Mad Max wrote:but of course telnic will have to search for new supporters, because developers who dropped their domains won't come back
Telnic could prevent losing their last developers by publishing a road map!
In that case people would believe something will happen in the future.
avatar
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Location : Dorset UK
Join date : 2012-06-11
Posts : 2225 Points : 45274
Reputation : 836
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by mikeseaton on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 1:53 pm



___________________________________________________
Domain Sales: Sedo
eBay Shop: Mike 321 UK
Search Engines: Web | Video | Facebook | Google+ | Pinterest | Tel | Twitter
avatar
NewYorkCity
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Join date : 2012-10-12
Posts : 71 Points : 3569
Reputation : 58
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by NewYorkCity on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 3:41 pm

Unfortunately Telnic has decided not to leave the little niche. Telnic avoids all risks and develops the right strategy very, very slowly.


But for Telnic this mentality is beneficial: low cost and steady income at low levels.

maxi
Insider
Insider

Join date : 2012-08-27
Posts : 998 Points : 22296
Reputation : 466
Warning level : 100 %

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by maxi on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:20 pm

NewYorkCity wrote:Unfortunately Telnic has decided not to leave the little niche. Telnic avoids all risks and develops the right strategy very, very slowly.


But for Telnic this mentality is beneficial: low cost and steady income at low levels.
By my mind, it is not beneficial for a company. But it is beneficial for people who get their salaries from that company. In this way they could continue this non-risky and comfortable situation for forever - if there would be no investors/shareholders who surely had not forgotten about their invested money.

As for me, the most mysterious thing in all this soap-opera is the behaviour of those people.

Sponsored content

Re: TIME TO QUIT .TEL ?

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 8:17 am